Thursday, November 3, 2011

Souped Up Chicken


So, I had leftover Curried Apple-Potato soup from Monday. It had a decent taste, but I just wasn't into it. I never want to waste, so I decided to use it as something other than soup. I marinated tonight's chicken in the leftover soup overnight. Actually, I plopped the frozen chicken in the soup and let it thaw out there. This morning I separated the chicken so it would evenly marinate. I do this a lot when I want to marinate chicken that is frozen. Instead of waiting for it to thaw, adding marinade, and then waiting for the marinade to do its magic; I figure the thawing and marinading can be done together. Why not?

I had half a tomato in my fridge, so I sliced it and put it, along with some cheese, on top of the chicken. I baked the chicken alone for about 20 minutes and then added the tomato and some cheese for a few minutes at the end. I wanted the tomato to keep its shape and not get too cooked. I used sharp cheddar, only because that was what I had in my fridge. Even though usually I love sharp cheese, it may have been too strong a flavor to pair with the soup. Maybe I should have used a more subtle cheese. Even slices of American could have worked. I love the creamy taste of melted American cheese.

I served the chicken with corn and some low calorie chicken fried rice, provided by my friend Stephanie. I have the recipe and I hope to someday share it on here once I make it!

As I have mentioned before, Sophia is a horrible eater. She takes forever!! I swear she eats like a slow poke in hopes that I give up waiting and tell her she is permitted to stop eating. That is not me. She has to eat her meals. The rule has always been if she didn't eat enough of her dinner, then she would not be allowed to have snacks for the rest of the night (or until the next meal if we are having breakfast or lunch). This rule sometimes works, except I still have to wait forever for her to finish. Her meal is always served before mine; then I eat, finish, and do the dishes. Sometimes I still have to wait 45 minutes for her to finish eating AFTER I finish the dishes. Let me tell you, I am not a fan of doing dishes, so there is no way I want to go back to doing them just because she wants to take forever! Tonight I made up a new rule. She has until I am done doing the dishes to finish eating. When I am done, her plate gets taken away. If she had not finished yet, it still gets taken, and no snacks are allowed either. I hope this cuts down on the playing around and getting up from the table. It may sound strict, but it is very important to me that my child eats good food that is real BEFORE any snacks are allowed.

2 comments:

  1. You should try putting her leftovers in tupperware, and if she asks for a snack later tell her "No, you can't have (insert snack), but you can finish your dinner." In a nicer way, cause that sounds kinda mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would do something like that if she really wasnt hungry, but when she asks for snacks not even five minutes after she gets up from the table it is not happening. Also, she finds every excuse in the book to get up from the table and prolong her procrastination of eating. I dont mind snacks for the most part. I dont even make her completely finish the plate. after she eats a bit and gets antsy I give her an amount of bites to eat of two of the items on her plate, usually anywhere from 3 to 7 bites depending on how much she ate. Mind you, if we are having something she really just doesnt like, I will prepare her a peanut butter sandwich and an apple or something. I do require she eats at least one bite of each food on her plate before she is allowed to claim she doesnt like it...believe me, I am not trying to starve my child or be mean, but I will not allow her to fill up on junk or waste her dinner because she knows she will get her junk food later.

    ReplyDelete