Sunday, November 27, 2011

Officially Christmas Season!

It is officially the Christmas season and I love it! As much as a can seem to be a scrooge about Christmas before Thanksgiving, I really do love it. I just with people could wait for Thanksgiving season to be over to start the Christmas celebrations!

This weekend, my family and I kicked Christmas off right! We set out of Philadelphia towards Reading. Along the way, we drove through Lancaster and saw how the Amish lived. I was super excited to see a Sheetz, though I did not have the chance to go in :( Sheetz is very much like a Wawa. Most Philadelphia locals would kill me for saying it, but I would prefer to have a local Sheetz over a Wawa. While in Amish county, we went to Shady Maples for a Smorgesbord breakfast. After breakfast we continued along to Reading to the hotel my mother got us for the night. Once it was dark we set out to Koziar's Christmas Villiage. The adventure to the Christmas Village was a bit more exciting than the actual light show! My mother's GPS showed us an off the beaten path way to get there. When I say "off the beaten path" I mean not even paved at some parts. This road did take us around all the traffic waiting to get in and gave us some good laughs (while my sister was having heart palpitations over the fear of what we would find in the woods we were driving through). The lights at Koziars were very nice, but it was way too crowded for my liking.

This morning, we decided to take the drive to Hershey. We didn't do the rides or drive through the light show, but we had so much fun. We stuck to the indoor attractions in their chocolate world. There was a 3-D movie which was amusing for the kids as well as historically educational for the adults. Then we went on a ride through the tour of the factory. The original factory was closed in 2010, so they have a 10 minute ride on tour of a simulated process of making the chocolate. My brother and I are debating whether the new chocolate factory is in West Hershey or Mexico. I'd like to think it moved just across town instead of out of the country. After the tour we did some shopping and then made our own candy bars. This process was way different than what I thought it was going to be, but I was very pleased with the results. Everyone was able to pick their type of chocolate and fillings; then watch it me made through the machines. Then we were able to design a label for our bars. We then had lunch in the cafeteria area. Little did we know, Santa was there and available for pictures!! We got a big family picture with my sister and brother plus all the kiddies. After some bribing, Sophia agreed to sit alone with Santa for a picture. I had to buy her a special treat. Luckily I got away with a personalized Hershey Kiss magnet. It really was a great weekend. I spent no time cooking, but it was worth it. I picked up some dinner at Wawa tonight, though I am still craving Sheetz. One food fact I learned about myself this weekend: I really do not like scrambled eggs at all anymore. Over medium or poached is the way to go, for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment