Friday, November 18, 2011

Acorn Truffles


Well these turned out a mess. I never claimed to be a master decorator. That is why I have my sister. She does beautiful custom cakes as a little cottage industry. Eventually I may be sharing some pictures of her creations. Anyway, I am not her. That is why my chocolate coatings turned out looking like crap. I think the one right in the middle looks the most like an acorn.

  • 16 oz package chocolate chip cookies
  • 1 package cream cheese
  • 1 package chocolate chips/morsels
  • 1/2 tsp vegetable shortening
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped pretzels
  • Mini pretzel rods cut in half
Line baking sheet with wax paper. Crumble cookies into food processor and process until mixture resembles coarse meal. Fold into cream cheese until it holds together. Roll into 1 1/4 inch ovals.
Microwave morsels and vegetable shortening 30 seconds. If not fully melted continue to microwave in 10 to 15 second increments until fully melted. Dip truffle in the chocolate to coat and then dip one end into pretzel pieces. Insert mini pretzel rods in top. Refrigerate 30 minutes.


I had originally planned this recipe as a fun activity to do with Sophia and her friend Ava. The kids were so excited to do a special treat project, until it was time to actually do the project. They decided they were having too much fun to stop running around, so I went at it alone. I made such a mess! I tried using my blender to process the cookies. No such luck. I think it actually started smoking. How many days till Christmas, when Santa brings me a new one?? I wound up putting the rest in a large Ziploc bag and crushing them. That is also what I did to finely chop the pretzels. Coating the balls was a project in itself. My fingers were covered with chocolate! Once the balls were covered it was hard to pull them out of the melted chocolate, because they would smush if I got a tight grip on them. The recipe said it was going to yield 36 acorns, but I gave up after my first tray was full. They did wind up delicious and pretty festive looking. Definitely something I would like to eat again. I may just pass this on to my sister to see if she can possibly make them a bit more pretty looking...



PS... the first step of my original recipe was "Preheat oven to 350." Then at no point in the rest of the recipe does it say anything about baking these little guys. Beats me...

No comments:

Post a Comment