Monday, November 7, 2011

Angel Hair with Braised Mushrooms


This recipe is a prime example of why you should never let fancy names scare you away from some fabulous recipes. Braised. What the hell does that mean? Honestly, I didn't know until I sat down to write this blog AFTER I cooked and devoured the meal. Braising is a cooking process, usually done with meat, where the food is quickly seared at a high heat and then covered and cooked with liquid at a lower heat. This technique is used often with tougher pieces of meat as it is efficient in breaking down collagen, which can make a piece tough. This collagen is converted into a gelatin or juice, which then combines with whatever liquid you have added to create a gravy or sauce. If you have ever done a roast by browning the edges in a pan before you put it in a crock pot along with some water or red wine, then you have mastered the art of braising.

  • 1 1/2 lbs mixed fresh mushrooms, sliced
  • 3 Tbsp olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1 Tbsp fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme
  • 1 cup white wine, chicken broth, or vegetable broth (your choice, pick one)
  • 1 tsp coarse salt
  • Angel hair pasta
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • 2 Tbsp parsley
  • Parmesan cheese to garnish
Boil water and cook pasta.
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic, mushrooms, and thyme. Toss until garlic begins to soften. Add wine (or broth) and salt. Cover and simmer for 7 minutes. Drain pasta and return to warm pan. Stir in butter and parsley. Top with mushrooms and drizzle some cooking liquid over the pasta. Garnish with Parmesan cheese if desired.


This was very tasty and pretty light. Sophia was hesitant to try it, but she did wind up eating some. She did not like the mushrooms. They are one of my favorite veggies!!! I didn't learn to like them until I was about 19, so maybe there is some hope for her.



For those who follow along: I made apple pancakes this morning, using my homemade applesauce. They were so delicious! I followed the directions on a box of pancake mix and then added two spoonfuls of the applesauce to the mix. Then, I cooked them just like I normally would plain pancakes. Both Sophia and I highly enjoyed them!

1 comment:

  1. that does look yummy..i am not a huge shroom fan but they do frequent my palate sometimes...haha

    ReplyDelete