Sunday, November 6, 2011

Applesauce


Applesauce is something I have never even thought about making. It comes in a jar. The label says healthy. It is made of apples. It must be healthy, right? Wrong. OK, it may be a healthier choice for a snack compared to fruit snacks, chips, or cookies. Look at the label. Better yet, look at the ingredients. High fructose corn syrup? Words you cant pronounce with way to many consonants? First ingredient say sugar? Why do they need to add all that crap to something that is naturally sweet and delicious?? Because they need it to be able to sit in storage or on shelves for months at a time without going bad. Sure, being able to sit out without being refrigerated can be convenient for lunch boxes, but think of what you are putting into your body. How long will those preservatives sit in your body? The ingredients in the sauce that makes it last will also last a very long time contaminating your body. I am not one of those health food nuts that regulates every thing that goes into our mouths, but if given the choice (and I can afford it) I will try my best to eat as natural and organic as possible. This recipe can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Tis the apple season! Finding many varieties of apples locally grown is so simple right now, take advantage!

  • 12 apples. Red was specified in the recipe, but I say use what you like, have on hand, or can get on sale. An apple is an apple. I prefer the red varieties with green mixed in.
  • 2 tsp water
  • 2 tsp cinnamon*
  • pinch of nutmeg*
*optional

Wash, peel, and core the apples. Cut into quarter chunks and put into Crock Pot. Add water. Cook on low for 4 hours. Mix and mash. Add cinnamon and nutmeg when finished cooking, while it is still in crock pot. Stir. Cool completely before serving (though I had a taste while warm, very delicious).

The original recipe said quarter chunks, but I think it may have meant quarter inch chunks. I had to mash the apples with a potato smasher, even though it did not instruct to do so in the original recipe. I am not sure how the apples would hold up if they are quarter inch chunks. I may try that next time I make this to see if it could eliminate the need to mash.

I added some of the apple cores to my bag of veggie scraps I have in the freezer. I thought it might add fun flavor to some vegetable broth.

This recipe was so simple to make! I love that it doesn't even require ANY sort of sugar. Be creative when using applesauce. It does not have to be a simple snack all alone in a bowl. Marinate and bake some pork chops in it, serve it along side chicken, top oatmeal with it, or anything else you can think of.

No comments:

Post a Comment