Saturday, November 5, 2011

Candy Puffs



A friend of mine found this recipe and forwarded it to me when she found out I was looking for something to do with the overabundance of Halloween candy in my house. This did fatten the candy up even more, but luckily my nephew's birthday is just a week after Halloween so I decided to make this treat to bring to his party. I used mainly the candy I don't like from her bag of treats. That strategy keeps me from eating too many of these candy puffs. My puffs consisted of Kit-Kats, Milky Ways, Twix, and Crackle bars.

  • 2 premade pastry sheets (you can find these in a tube, near the dinner biscuit rolls at the food store)
  • 48 bite sized candy bars
  • 2 oz chocolate candy melts or chips
Preheat oven to 400. Roll out the pastry sheets onto a floured surface. Roll into a 10 inch square. Cut into 2x2 inch squares. Place candy in center and fold corners over. Press to seal. Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake 10 minutes. Cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes then cool on rack. Melt chocolate and drizzle over puffs.


This was a great recipe to get Sophia involved in. She loves to help in the kitchen. At first I thought she would be upset we were using her Halloween candy, but it really didn't bother her at all. Having a still half full bowl of candy on the counter as we were preparing them probably helped. First I had her open all of the candy pieces I had set aside. I cut any 'fun sized' pieces in half to make them 'bite sized'. I may suggest opening and cutting each piece as you are wrapping them in the pastry, because we wound up with more candy opened than we actually needed. I let Sophia snack on these extras as the puffs were baking. I spread out the pastry sheets and cut them into 2 inch squares, then let her wrap up the candy pieces. Next year I think I will look into how to make the pastry myself. When they were ready to bake, I put the oven light on so she could watch them get bigger.

I thought I would be clever and resourceful by using the plain Hershey bars she received instead of chocolate melts or chips. Why go buy it when I have something similar at home already? This did not work out as planned. Apparently the Hersey bars don't melt down as nicely as the melts or chips would have. It was completely undrizzleable. So, unfortunately I had to scrap that part of the recipe. I am pretty disappointed, because I think the drizzled chocolate would  have made them look more appetizing. If I had known the chocolate bars wouldn't work, I would have maybe pressed some sprinkles into the dough before being baked to make them more festive.

I hope everyone at the party tomorrow likes them! I always get so nervous when people try my food, especially when I use a new recipe!


1 comment:

  1. I wish I had some here now you have my mouth watering for something nice and sweet.I like reading how you have your little girl helping you.It fills my heart

    ReplyDelete