Monday, October 17, 2011

Pumpkin Puree



After making the Autumn Pasta Carbonara, I was left with more than half a pumpkin. I have never worked with fresh pumpkin so I do not know how long it will keep in the fridge. Freezing is a great way to keep fresh ingredients, so they don't spoil. I researched freezing pumpkin and the best bet seems to be freezing it as a puree. A puree can be used for pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, and pumpkin pancakes. I am sure I could find some more recipes using pumpkin puree. Any vegetable puree makes for a great all natural baby food as well. I did not do this with Sophia, but it is something I would be very interested in if I were to have another child.

  • Fresh pumpkin - I used a small 6 inch pumpkin, but any size will work. Different size and varieties of pumpkin will produce variations in flavor.

   Cut a pumpkin into fourths. Use a large spoon to remove seeds and guts. Place the pumpkin skin side down in a roasting pan or baking dish. Cover the bottom of the pan with water. Cover with foil. Place in a 300 degree oven. Bake for about 1hour. When done it will slice as easy as butter. Remove from oven, uncover, and allow to cool. Cut flesh away from skin. Place in a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
Your plans for the puree will determine how to store it. For pies or pastries, store in 1 or 2 cup quantities. For baby food, an ice cube tray will allow for perfect portions to pop out and be defrosted individually.

I plan to make pumpkin bread and pumpkin pie with my puree in the near future.

1 comment:

  1. I'm impressed with your new venture. I also like how you express yourself on this blog. I should probably give you one of your christmas gifts early so your preparations are a little more convenient for you.

    ReplyDelete