Sunday, October 23, 2011

BBQ Ribs


The first time I made these ribs, I had my parents over for dinner. They are very easy and very delicious. Use of the pressure cooker cuts down cooking time drastically. Ribs were something I never thought to make until I got my pressure cooker and its accompanying cookbook. I would like to try baking ribs and eventually grilling them, once I purchase a grill. I did not follow the recipe from the cookbook completely this time around, what would be the fun in that? The only real change I made was with the sauce. A pressure cooker requires a lot of liquid to cook. To keep the sauce thick enough to stick to the ribs, the cookbook I have suggests adding 4 tbsp tomato paste. I did not have tomato paste on hand tonight so I opted for a tsp cornstarch. It did not add to the flavor like tomato paste, but it got the job done. An added bonus to this recipe is the ease of switching it up. You can use any flavor BBQ sauce you like. I go with a sweet honey BBQ, because some other flavor sauces have too much of a kick for Sophia.
I used one pound boneless ribs, because they were on sale. Either boneless or bone in ribs will work with this recipe.

  • up to 3lbs pork spare ribs
  • 1 bottle BBQ sauce
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 tsp cornstarch - or - 4 tbsp tomato paste
Mix the BBQ sauce, water, and cornstarch (or tomato paste) in the chamber of the pressure cooker. Dip each rib in the sauce to coat and stand up along the side of the chamber, overlapping if necessary. Lock the lid onto the pressure cooker and cook on High for 20 minutes. Perform a quick release and serve.

I served mine with string beans and green beans tonight. Cornbread would also be a delicious side if you are up to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment