Monday, October 24, 2011

Mexican Chili



  • 1 can garbanzo beans (chick peas)
  • 1 can black beans
  • 1 24 oz jar salsa
  • 2 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tbsp cumin
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 15 oz can Mexican corn
Drain cans. Mix all ingredients together. Cook in the crock pot on low for 4-6 hours.
Top with sour cream and cheddar cheese if desired.


I may as well admit this now. I messed up. I didn't realize that I messed up until right now when I reread the recipe to type it here. Instead of 2 TSP chili powder and 1 TBSP cumin, I mixed it up. I used 2 TBSP chili powder and 1 TSP cumin. Oops! Honestly, it did not taste messed up, so no biggy! That's one great thing about cooking. Lots of mix ups wind up just being happy mistakes. though certain ingredients you should be careful with. If this recipe called of cayenne pepper then it would have been a whole different story!! Then again, if the recipe called for something as hot as cayenne pepper, I may have been a bit more careful!

My sister hosted a pumpkin carving party tonight, so I brought the chili with me. Everyone seemed to enjoy it. The only complaint I heard was that there was no meat in it. Oh well! If the party was on a Tuesday, maybe it would have meat. I think everyone liked it or they were too polite say otherwise. My sister told me it seemed a bit spicy, but still delicious. Wait till I tell her my mix up (or until she reads the previous paragraph). At first it seemed too liquidy but it really wasn't. I was tempted to put a little corn starch in it to thicken it up. I am very glad I didn't. The chili tasted great topped with sour cream. I have never had vegetarian chili and was pretty nervous at how it would turn out. I will definitely make this again as well as other versions of veggie chili.

Fun tip: I saved some of the eyes and mouth pieces of everyone's pumpkin. As I type this I am baking them to make puree that I will freeze. It will not be as sweet tasting as a small pie pumpkin would taste, but will still be a great fresh ingredient in future recipes. Waste not, Want not!

This was a great meal to get Sophia involved in cooking. When it was time to set it up in the crock pot, I let her sit on the counter and be my helper. Actually I was her helper and she was the chef. I opened and drained the cans, measured out the spices, and plugged in the crock pot. She poured everything in and stirred. She loves that she made our meal.



3 comments:

  1. lol, well i read the mishap...but it was really good and even better with the sour cream...i am not a spicey kinda gal but i think the mishap was a good one, especially since i think cumin can be to overpowering sometimes...make it again and i will bring the corn bread...xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time I make it I plan to try it the way the original recipe says, just to see how it is supposed to taste. Though I was pleased at how it turned out. I think tomorow I will eat it as a leftover. I am going to cut up the one rib I have left from sunday, add it to the chili, and heat it slowly on the stove. Kind of like a mexican/bbq pork and beans?

    ReplyDelete