Friday, October 21, 2011

Mustard-Pretzel Chicken




This meal was inspired when I made the pretzel breadcrumbs. I made the breadcrumbs so the pretzels wouldn't go to waste, but had not thought about what I would do with them. I decided to spice up basic breaded chicken. What pairs better with pretzels than mustard?  A new recipe was born!

  • 3 thin sliced chicken breasts
  • 2 eggs
  • 1tbsp brown mustard
  • flour
  • pretzel breadcrumbs
  • cooking spray
Preheat the oven to 350. Spray a thin layer of oil on a baking sheet. Use three bowls to set up your breading station. I did not indicate a specific amount of flour or breadcrumbs, because I just pour a nice pile of each into its own bowl. Use what you think you will need to coat the chicken, you can always add more. So one bowl for flour, one bowl for eggs, and one bowl for the pretzel breadcrumbs. Add the tbsp of brown mustard to the bowl of eggs and beat together. Coat your chicken with flour, then egg mixture, then pretzel breadcrumbs. Place on baking sheet. Lightly spray the top of the chicken to help the pretzel breadcrumbs brown while baking. Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked. I have a habit of slicing my biggest breast to check before I decide it is finished cooking. This makes the presentation less attractive, but I would rather not give someone food poisoning just because I wanted to make sure it looks pretty.

I will definitely be making this again. I may add more mustard next time though. The flavor with the pretzel was nice, but I think it could use a little more of a kick. I could be wrong though. I am still fighting a cold, so my taste buds might not be up to par. The texture was great as well. I am not a huge fan of frying my breaded chicken in oil. It is hard to keep the breading on the meat, the breading gets soggy, and it adds unneeded fat. Baking keeps everything intact and requires much less oil. Whether you bake or fry, it is up to you. Any recipe can be tweaked to suit your own tastes!

4 comments:

  1. when are you going to make me this???????????....you know i LOVE pretzels, just ask grandpop...haha...xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So says the doubter of the pretzel breadcrumbs! Whenever you want, they were super easy! I have one of them left, which will be my lunch today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just did something lke this at fridays however instead of brown mustard we used dijon and added beer (ipa) in there too.

    just in time for tweak tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought about using dijon, but went with the brown because that is what i like to put on pretzels. Maybe another time I will try dijon. I wonder how you put beer in it without making it too liquidy?

    ReplyDelete