Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Pressure Cooked Teriyaki Chicken Wings

I apologize in advance for the lack of picture with this recipe! I have a picture and they look really delicious. Except that I forgot to put the memory card back into the camera when I took the picture and I do not have a cord to connect it to my computer. So let's use our imagination, shall we?

I promise, next time I make them, I owe you a picture!
(same goes for the vegetable broth I also made today)


Anyway.....We found out recently that Sophia loves chicken wings. My child is such a finicky eater. Trying to get her to eat more than 3 bites of anything is torture. I do not know where she came from! I have always been a great eater. If I find something she loves, I try to make it often. This is the first time I have ever tried to cook wings, and they came out fabulous. Plus a pack of 6 full wings (drums and wings connected) cost me less than $2!

  • 2 pounds chicken wings
  • 6tbsp sesame oil
  • 1 cup low sodium teriyaki sauce
  • 1tbsp lemon juice
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
  • toasted sesame seeds**, for garnish

Combine all ingredients, except 2 tbsp sesame oil and the toasted sesame seeds, in a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours (overnight is recommended).
Heat 2tbsp sesame oil in pressure cooker on "high" or "brown" with lid off until sizzling. Using tongs, remover chicken wings from marinade (reserve marinade) and place in cooker to brown. Stir around to brown as many wings on as many sides as possible. Pour marinade over wings, securely lock on lid, and cook on high for 7 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then perform a quick release to safely remove lid. Remove with tongs and top with toasted sesame seeds.
**To toast raw sesame seeds heat them in a pan on the stove over medium heat until golden brown. Shake the pan to keep them moving so they don't burn.


OK, I cheated. I used olive oil instead of sesame oil and I left out the sesame seeds. I love sesame seeds and have nothing against sesame oil. I did not have either of them on hand. The wings were delicious. Sure, they probably would have had some more flavor if I had used sesame oil. I plan to grab a bottle next time I am at the food store.
As I should have done with the Autumn Pasta Carbonara, I have omitted the crushed red pepper. My objective is a child that eats. Spicy is not the way to reach that goal!
The recipe called to have the drums and wings separated. Mine came as full wings and I decided to keep them that way. My knife collection is crap and I am never really in the mood to fight with raw chicken. I am so glad I did. These wings were so tender that once cooked, they came apart super easy. I prefer the wing portion and Sophia likes the drum. Perfect couple!

Definitely will make this again! Cheap, easy, and delicious! I paired them with wild rice and stir-fried pea pods. Soph insisted the pea pods were string beans. While eating she exclaimed "I know why they are called STRING BEADS!!! On the outside it is a STRING and the inside has the BEAD!!!"

3 comments:

  1. I love the way u wrote this lol. And I love sophs answer :). Recipe sounds yummy !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. crazy that you of all peoeple have apicky eater...they sound tasty...make me some...love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy, an they were so tender. Kept them together too an I used the olive oil instead of the sesame oil an omitted the sesame seeds as well as the red pepper. Thank you Single Mother Barefoot in the Kitchen.

    ReplyDelete