Friday, October 21, 2011

Pretzel Breadcrumbs



As I mentioned in the vegetable broth post, I was left with way too many soft pretzels than I could eat after a party. I gave some away, but was still left with too much. Even if I could eat that many pretzels before they were stale, I'd rather not eat that many carbs in such a short amount of time. I decided I would make breadcrumbs out of them. This way they could be saved and used longer than they could have been as the original pretzels. My sister doubted they would come out all that great, but I figured I would try anyway.

The pretzel tray consisted of rods that were seasoned with salt, garlic, poppy seeds, and sesame seeds. I rubbed as much of these seasonings off and then sliced them in half. I layed them out, with the sliced part up, on a lightly oiled baking stone. You can use a regular cookie sheet if you would like. I am just in love with my stone and use it for just about everything that goes into my oven. I lightly sprayed them with cooking oil spray and placed them in the oven that was preheated to 300. They were baked until completely crispy. I tested them by breaking them in half. They have to be baked all the way through, make sure all the chewiness is gone. If there is any soft part of the pretzel left it will not crumble properly. Once the pretzels were completely crispy, I broke them up into inch sized pieces and put them in my blender. I processed them until they were broken down into crumbs. I put them in a Tupperware container to store in my fridge.

At first I thought the pretzel breadcrumbs came out of the blender too fine, but after using them for Mustard-Pretzel Chicken, I think they are just perfect! I would also suggest trying a bag of hard pretzels that might go stale before they can be finished. I have not done this idea yet, but it seems like it could work.

No comments:

Post a Comment