Sunday, October 23, 2011

My Great-grandmother's Special Pumpkin Bread

Since I have been working alot with fresh pumpkin lately, I knew I wanted to try making a pumpkin bread. I researched recipes and thought I found a winner. That was until I told my sister my plan. She informed me that she just got her hands on our Great-grandmothers recipe. Obviously this recipe took priority in my desire to bake pumpkin bread. Our family isn't really one that passes down recipes from generation to generation. This is the first time I came across a gem such as this. My awesome sister shared the recipe and gave me permission to post it.



I was not fortunate enough to have been able to get to know my Great-grandmother Anna Marie Gallagher. I did meet her, but she died before I was old enough to really remember. The only actual memory I have is her looking out her front door at me while her cat sat in the window. My sister was lucky enough to have a close relationship with her. Mommom Anna would babysit my sister and in the fall they would bake pumpkin bread together for thanksgiving. She died at the age of 78 on July 30, 1990. I was only 5 years old; my sister was 10. The last time my sister baked the Great-grandmoms special pumpkin bread was for Thanksgiving of 1990. My grandmother and sister baked the bread together. As they were preparing it, the song Wind Beneath My Wings came on the radio. Both of them started to cry as they remembered the lose of the matriarch of our family.





  • 3 cups sugar
  • 3 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp nutmeg
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 cups pumpkin*
  • 2/3 cup water
  • raisins and walnuts (optional, desired amount)
*My sister said she remembers using canned pumpkin when baking the bread with our Great-grandmother. I decided to use fresh pumpkin puree. A bit more work, but take I'd rather take advantage of any chance I have to use fresh ingredients over processed food.

Preheat oven to 350. Combine all ingredients. Pour into a greased loaf or cake pan. Bake for approximately one hour. Test if it is fully cooked by stabbing it in the middle with a butter knife or tooth pick. It is done when the knife comes out clean.



This bread came out delicious. I used a small amount of both raisins and chopped walnuts. I think next time I will add some extra walnuts. I like the crunch. The batter allowed me to bake two small loafs and a single layer cake (pictured). I iced the single layer cake with my sisters homemade buttercream and added some chocolate to the top of the icing. Yum!

8 comments:

  1. I got a bit teary eyed reading this post. One, for the memories and two, for how very proud I am of you. You write very well and I can imagine you in the kitchen doing your recipes as I read you posts. Love You!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I am glad people enjoy reading it! I love watching to see what parts of the contry and world are reading. There was one from Hawaii that read this one. I like to think maybe it was our cousins that live out there....

    ReplyDelete
  3. This bread was AMAZING. I am so happy I got to nom on this! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grandmom baked her breads out of coffee cans. She collected them year round then used the cans instead of oven pans to bake the bread. Her breads were always unique and each year , she would make a special one without raisins or nuts for Joshua. Grandmom never iced her breads. They were wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never knew that about the coffee cans. That is a neat idea. I wonder how she got them out of the cans without messing them up. I didnt ice the two loafs I made, just the one I cooked in a pie dish. I was going to a kids pumpkin decorating party and thought it would be a fun treat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nicole, This is Karin Gallagher, John's wife, in Hawaii! Grandma (Aunt) Mary posted a link to this on Facebook, so that's how I found it. Wonderful memories, great writing, and a delicious recipe -- I'm hooked! Keep up the wonderful work. Much aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Karin! I am so excited you came across this from Hawaii! I knew it had to be family, at least I had hoped since this post was pretty special. It is so nice to hear from you, I am glad you commented!

    ReplyDelete