Sunday, December 18, 2011

White Trash


I have not made Christmas cookies since I was a little girl. This year I wanted to do them so I had some deliciousness to hand out to people and so we had something homemade and fresh to leave out for Santa. Not that Santa needs any cookies in her belly this year, but its all about the memories for Soph. She was not very interested in helping with the cookie process, but she definitely likes being my taste tester! This year I made 4 types of cookies: Russian Teacakes, Oatmeal, Potato-chocolate chip, and White Trash. I had white trash only one time before now, when a co-workers wife made them for the holiday party. My supervisor was raving about it before they came in, so I needed to try them. As a salty/sweet kind of girl, I fell in love. Forget the other cookies, this was all I needed! Ive had the same reaction with my batch of white trash. Everyone loves it, plus they get a kick out of the name!

  • 9 cups non-sweetened cereal
  • 2 cups pretzel sticks, broken into halves
  • 3 cups peanuts
  • 2 - 12oz packages of white chocolate chips
Melt the white chocolate chips in the microwave for 1 minute. Continue to cook in 10 second increments until melted smooth. Mix cereal, pretzels, and peanuts in a large bowl. Gently fold white chocolate into the mixture. Once the mixture is evenly coated, spread onto a wax paper covered surface and let dry. Break into bite sized pieces.

This was so simple to make, especially since there is no baking involved. I used a mixture of Chex and Cheerios for my cereal. The hardest part was folding the chocolate into the mixture.
Once it was dry, I used a spatula to separate and then break into pieces. While I may mix my cookie variety from year to year, I have a feeling white trash will become a yearly tradition coming from my kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment