Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Mushroom Roast


This roast happened by mistake. It was a "plan b" using ingredients I happened to have in my cabinet. I originally wanted to make a two can cola roast, which is possibly my favorite meat recipe using the pressure cooker. After spending a good 15 minutes making a list, I went food shopping Sunday morning to get the odds and ends that I needed to prepare my meal. Naturally I forgot my list! So from memory, I had to get everything I needed. This is a dangerous practice, because I always wind up buying much more than I am supposed to. Since my household is a non-soda drinking environment (with the exception of parties) I completely forgot I needed the two cans of cola. I never even walk down that aisle at the store! So not until I was home and completely involved in productiveness (a very rare occasion for me) did I realize that I forgot it. I did not feel like heading out again, so the only option was to work with what I had. I decided to use a pork chop recipe I had for my crock pot. I still followed the time and temperature directions for the pressure cooker, but used the ingredients for the sauce.

  • 2-3 lb pork roast
  • can cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 pack onion soup mix
Place the onion in the bottom of the pressure cooker. Put the roast in over the onions and top with the sauce. Mix one can of water with the onion soup mix and pour in. Cook on high for 40 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and then perform a quick release.



This sauce is actually my sisters favorite recipe to use on her pork chops, so I knew it would turn out pretty good. I added the can of water because a pressure cooker usually calls for more liquid to cook. I wonder if the soup would actually be enough liquid. One day I'll test that. If any gravy you make comes out too thin in a pressure cooker, a simple fix is to add some cornstarch and set the pot to brown with the lid off and the meat removed. Some of the liquid will burn off as it boils down.

I think I like the two can cola roast better. It is more flavorful and sweet, but this recipe was definitely delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment