Thursday, January 12, 2012

Santa Fe Rolls with Avacado Dipping Sauce

Here we go, slacker here! I am posting my Meatless Monday meal on Thursday. Ugh, I'm so bad! I have been so excited to share this recipe too! The original recipe that I based it on was found through Pinterest (surprise, surprise), here. I find so many recipes on Pinterest. If you are not already a member of that site, you need to be! Especially if you have any interest in being a Suzie-homemaker. It is filled with so many ideas for recipes, crafts, home interior, fashion...you name it, its on there! Warning: browsing and pinning can be quite addictive. It is an invite only website, so if you would like to join, comment with your email address and I will invite you!

As I create my Pinterest recipes, I need to remove them from my Yummy board, so I am able to find the ones I still need to make more easily. Each recipe that I post on this blog have been getting pinned, as well as some of my older ones. I am hoping to create more traffic to my blog and get some new readers. I welcome anyone reading this or any other posts to leave comments regarding your ideas, opinions, or experiences. Comments are great! I do not get nearly enough comments!




As with most of the recipes I try, I modified the original recipe. This really wasn't the plan, but as I went along gathering my ingredients, it just kind of happened that way. First, I had some mozzarella on hand so why would I go buy a different kind of cheese. Second, I didn't see any green onions in the store so I substituted for a regular sweet onion. Third, I completely forgot to buy spinach and as I was assembling the rolls at 9pm Sunday night, there was no way I was running out to get some. Make do with what you have!

For the egg rolls:
2 cups frozen corn, thawed
1-15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
2/3 onion, diced
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 package of egg roll or wonton wrappers

Preheat oven to 425F. Line 2 baking sheets with aluminum foil and spray lightly with cooking spray.
In a large bowl mix together corn, beans, cheese, onions, cumin, chili powder, salt and cayenne pepper. Using a small spoon, scoop a small amount of filling onto the wrapper. Starting at a corner, carefully start to roll the wrapper. When it’s slightly rolled, tuck in the two side and continue rolling to the last point. Lay on baking sheet with the open flap portion of the roll on the bottom. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling, placing them slightly apart on the baking sheet.
Lightly spray the tops of the egg rolls with cooking spray and bake for 15 minutes.

For avocado ranch:
3/8 cup mayonnaise
3/8 cup sour cream
3 Tbs milk with a dash of lemon juice (substitute for 3 Tbsp buttermilk, let sit 5 minutes before using)
1/2 Tbs olive oil
1/2 Tbs lemon juice
1/3 onion
1/4 tsp salt
1 avocado, peeled and pitted
Place all ingredients in a blender and pulse until smooth. Use immediately

As I have never made anything like this, I was so nervous as to how it would turn out. Let me tell you! After my first bite, I actually said OUT LOUD, "WOW, I made this?" The amount of onion in the filling mixture was a bit nerve racking when mixing it. I thought they would wind up being too oniony, especially since I did not saute them before putting them in the filling. Not at all! They do not taste too oniony, but DO NOT let that fool you! These babies will give you some kickin' breath. Have some gum for dessert! You will need it.
I brought some of these rolls to work for lunch on Tuesday. As a leftover, they were still pretty tasty, but lost some of the appeal. The roll no longer had that satisfying crunch once it was microwaved. I would suggest reheating these in an oven or toaster oven to try to keep the crunch. OR, only bake as many as you will eat in one sitting and freeze the rest. The original recipe states the uncooked rolls will freeze well, though I have not tried this myself yet.

The avocado dipping sauce was just as fabulous as the rolls. It tastes so light and airy. This was the first time I have ever cooked with avocado. I actually had to google how to cut one. Not as hard as it looks.

Sophia did so good with these rolls! She ate her entire dinner! I had some leftover brown rice, so I lightly sauteed some diced tomato and green peppers with a little garlic powder and mixed that into the rice. I will definitely be making these rolls again. They also got me interested in experimenting with some new types of rolls. I will be doing some variations off of this recipe and then maybe some completely new ones. Pinterest is definitely full of enough ideas to keep me busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment