Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Chrissy Balls

Even though I am mostly Italian, I have never made meatballs. Growing up, I can remember multiple occasions that my (non-Italian) mother had meatballs baking in the oven. I am pretty sure she received the recipe from her mother-in-law who was one of the best Italian cooks around. I never particularly liked my mothers meatballs, because they were made with diced up pieces of onion and green peppers. No child likes chunks of onions and peppers in anything. Maybe I would like them now that I am older and my tastes have developed a bit. I cannot recall the last time my mother has made her meatballs, but maybe she will try them again for me after reading this post!

This recipe for meatballs was given to me by my sister. I would have never even thought to make meatballs containing steak sauce. Her husband loves these balls, so I figured I would give them a shot.

  • one pound ground meat
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 handfuls breadcrumbs
  • 1 egg
  • 3 Tbsp steak sauce
  • 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp onion powder
Preheat oven to 350. Mix together ingredients and form small to medium sized balls. Put balls in a baking dish and cover with foil. Bake while covered for 35 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 8 to 10 minutes. Place balls in sauce and serve with pasta.


The aroma that filled my apartment while these balls were cooking was amazing! I did leave out the onion powder, only because I didn't have any on-hand. I need to go get some of that stuff!! Unless I find a new meatball recipe that really peaks my interest, this will be my go-to recipe from now on. At some point, I probably will attempt making them with ground turkey to keep them on the healthy side.


I hope you don't think I have given up on Meatless Monday, since I have been a slacker with posting! I combined two of my earlier posts into one healthy delicious meal. I roasted a spaghetti squash and then topped it with the last of my lentil sauce that I had frozen. Very filling and very delicious!!! I even brought some to work with me for lunch. I am becoming a huge fan of spaghetti squash. I will be attempting to top it with lots of different sauces as a carb/pasta substitute. Sophia even liked it with the lentil sauce.

2 comments: