Sunday, January 8, 2012

Chicken in a White Wine Reduction Sauce



Let me start off by saying, the recipe I found for this sauce must have been posted online as some sort or joke! I doubled the recipe and I still wound up with only 1/4 cup of sauce! The fact that someone actually posted a recipe yielding such little results amazes me. Usually I have to split a recipe in half so we don't waste the leftovers. This was just ridiculous. I am going to post the doubled recipe I made, but remember that it still makes very little sauce. If you have to feed more than two people, you will have to double or even triple this recipe.

  • Chicken breasts
  • 2 ounces white wine (use a shot glass to measure)
  • 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
  • 1Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 Tbsp butter*
  • 1 tsp lemon juice*
  • 1 clove minced garlic*
*optional, used for flavoring

Heat olive oil at a very high heat. Sear chicken for 3 minutes per side. Depending on thickness of chicken, finish cooking by baking at 350. Using same pan the chicken was seared in, add garlic* and cook on medium heat until fragrant. Add wine, stock, and lemon juice* and continue to cook on medium heat until reduced. A spatula will create a clean trail when dragged across the bottom of the pan when the sauce is finished. Whisk in a tbsp of butter* then serve over chicken.

The butter, lemon juice, and garlic are all optional. I only used garlic and the sauce came out amazing. The small amount was actually plenty for my little chicken breasts that I cooked, but I would recommend making a larger batch if feeding more than two people. Since the "reduction" part of the sauce is made by evaporation of liquids, a larger amount will stretch out the cooking time.

I served this with some mixed string beans and brown rice that I cooked in chicken broth. This made for a very satisfying and healthy meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment