Monday, July 9, 2012

Colcannon

Not sure what Colcannon would traditionally be served with, but fresh veggies go with anything!!


Colcannon is a traditional Irish meal that would be eaten at the beginning of the spring season. A feast was made on Imbolc, the first day of Spring, which would always include Colcannon. Colcannon has many different recipes, one substituting kale for cabbage and was served at Halloween. In the fall version of the dish, a ring would be hidden in the food to predict who would be married within the year.

There are some today that serve this dish as a celebration of St. Patricks Day, because it represents Ireland with its white and green color. I decided to create this dish simple because it was the most intriguing search result when I googled "cabbage and potato recipes". Added bonus: I could also use green onion, which has been a bit of a challenge in my CSA. Now if only I could find some new uses for radishes!

  • 3-4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
  • 3 Tbsp milk
  • 2 cups chopped cabbage
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • 1/4 cup green onion (regular onion could be used as well)
Cook the potatoes in a pot of boiling water. Remove cooked potatoes with a slatted spoon and set aside. Cook cabbage for 6 minutes in the boiling potato water. Meanwhile, saute the onions in the butter. Mash potatoes with a fork. Stir in onions and cabbage. Add milk, then salt and pepper to taste. Fluff with a fork.

I was pretty excited to make this meal, but it was actually kind of bland. Seasoning it with a little extra butter stirred in and some more salt and pepper which helped a bit. Sophia did not like it too much, but she did eat some without any arguments. The original recipe suggested topping this with some cheese. Maybe next time!

2 comments:

  1. I made colcannon tonight using kale from my garden. I put chopped pieces of kale in the pot with about a 1/4 inch of water. Steamed that until the kale just got slightly limp then put in my cut up potatoes on top, along with scallions and garlic. Once the potatoes were soft enough to mash, I turned off the stove and mashed with the steaming liquid. Added a little milk, plenty of butter, salt and pepper. It was delicous! Next time I will try it with the cabbage and see if it is just as good. I think garlic is a big flavor enhancer in mashed potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite colcannon recipe came to me via my girlfriend's mom years ago. She used potatoes, kale, leeks, and tons of butter. Soooooo good!

    ReplyDelete