Wednesday, June 6, 2012

One Pot Wonder


Talk about a quick easy dinner. I used one of my mother's favorite techniques of throwing random food and chicken in a pot and letting it cook. Unfortunately my mother and I do not see eye to eye on food preparation, so instead of her usual butter, Alfredo (or cream of chicken soup), chicken, and veggie concoction; I created a healthier one pot wonder. Having no idea what to do for dinner yesterday morning, I pulled out some chicken to thaw and contemplated the meal while I was working. Again, with the American mindset of meat = dinner. Bad habits are hard to break! As much as I like to stay away from processed foods, I do have some of those Lipton flavored rice packets in my cabinet. I very rarely use them, but they are a quick fix when I am all out of meal ideas. My dinner was in peril of becoming a processed flavored rice mix, baked chicken, and steamed veggies. How boring!!

After work, I went to the gym and worked my butt off. I really needed that post vacation workout to get my body back on track after the vacation food bender. At least we did a lot of walking while we were away. After 45 minutes of intensive cardio, there was no way my body wanted that salty, processed, and dehydrated crap. Luckily I had some fresh veggies on hand, because a brilliant idea hit!

You could prepare this recipe with any assortment of veggies you have on hand. All you need to know is their cooking times to make sure you dont over-do one type while not completely cooking another. The recipe I am providing is simply what I used. Use more or less of whatever you want. You can even change it up completely.

  • 1 bunch kale, ribs removed and leaves torn into bite sized pieces
  • 2 potatoes, sliced
  • 2 onions, chopped
  • 2 chicken breast, diced
  • 2 cups veggie broth
  • 8 mushrooms, quartered
  • Just a dash of garlic powder
Put all ingredients, except mushrooms, in a large pot.Cover and simmer on medium-low heat for 15 minutes. Add mushrooms. Cover and simmer for another 5-10 minutes. Make sure the chicken pieces are fully cooked. Add garlic powder and serve.

At first this meal was a little bland for my taste buds, so I added a dash of ground pepper. After a bite or two, I really did enjoy this quick and easy meal. As an added bonus, I felt very full after just one bowl. I didn't have to eat a lot to be satisfied. Must have been the kale! I didn't put too much kale in Sophia's bowl. It does have a strong and unusual flavor, so it is one I am slowly introducing to her. Her bowl was filled with chicken, onions, mushrooms (which she instantly picked out), and potatoes. My child may be the only one in existence that does not like french fries, but she sure does like cooked onion. Which brings me to a thought....

Many people consider me strict when it comes to meal times. I'll admit that I am. I have my reasons though. A friend of mine complained just last night that she has to get up from her meal multiple times at dinner to retrieve something for her indecisive child. I would never judge a mother on how she runs her household, but that is something I just couldn't do. A lot of times, sitting down to a meal is the only break in the day I get. Heck, sometimes it is not even a break, since I work through a lot of my lunches. I make sure Sophia has everything she needs to enjoy her dinner (sometimes I forget the ketchup, but she can reach that herself if she wants it). What I serve is what's for dinner. Very occasionally, when I try a new exotic or spicy recipe, I will make her something else - but only after she tries at least 3 bites. A child will usually eat what is provided for them, especially when they know it is the only option. I believe that my child is not a very picky eater is directly correlated with not giving her the option. If she wants to eat, she eats what she is given. No snacks if she doesn't eat enough and definitely no snacks immediately after dinner when she does not finish her plate. My child eats and enjoys just about every vegetable that I serve. Some days she may not like something, but I continue to serve it to her. On more than one occasion, she liked it a second or a third tasting. I also do not tell her the name for some of the more questionable veggies on her plate. Instead of letting her brain decide what she likes, it forces her taste buds to decide. That has been my best method in getting her to like something she previously was not a fan of. My way may not work for everyone, but I think it is a good way to be. Believe me, it would be much easier to pop in some microwavable (processed) chicken nuggets each night instead of listening to her whining and compromising on how much she is supposed to eat. Sometimes the better choice is not always the easiest...

I must say, it was really nice not having to slave over the stove for dinner. I was able to get some other things done around the house while dinner was cooking. As a single mom, I don't always have that luxury!

No comments:

Post a Comment